Umm is anyone else on the East Coast forgetting what the end of July is supposed to feel like? Where are you sunshine and 100 degree weather?! All this rain is making my productivity scale fall but there’s nothing like battling the rainy day blues with something delicious! You’re welcome in advance for providing you with your next go-to recipe to whip up for brunches, lazy Sunday mornings, baby or bridal showers, etc.! These bacon cheddar chive scones are so delicious and surprisingly incredibly easy to make! They’re the perfect amount of flakey, savory and I dare you to not have more than one!
Bacon Cheddar Chive Scones | Yields ~12 small to medium size scones
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp baking powder
2 tsp sugar
4 tbsp cold butter (*don’t use margarine! They don’t come out as good!!)
1 cup of coarsely grated or diced cheddar cheese
1/3 cup of chopped chives or finely chopped scallions
1/2 lb cooked and crumbled bacon
3/4 + 2 tbsp heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees with the rack in the middle of the oven. Lightly grease a baking sheet or scone pan with butter or cooking spray. (You can also line it with parchment paper.)
- Whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder and sugar. Gradually add in the butter until the mixture is unevenly crumbly. It’s ok if there are some chunks of butter- a standing mixer helps to break the chunks up and distribute throughout the mixture!
- Toss in the cheddar cheese, chives, and bacon
- Add in the heavy cream as you are mixing. If the amount above is not enough to make the dough cohesive, slowly add a little bit more cream until the dough becomes cohesive but not sticky.
- Pat the dough mixture out into an even disk and cut wedges. If you have a scone pan, pull apart the dough and mold into the pan.
- Brush the tops of the scones with either an egg white mixture or cream to get that pretty golden brown top.
- Bake for 20-24 minutes, until the tops of the scones are golden and your house is smelling all sorts of delicious.
- Remove and let the scones cool before biting in! Serve warm and if you have leftovers, refrigerate and pop in the microwave when you’re ready to indulge again!
*I’ve also added in some blue cheese crumbles to add in a whole other layer of savory and I highly recommend if you’re a fan of the stinky cheese!
P.S. Check out my instagram highlights for some sneak peeks into our kitchen renovation!
Shop My Favorite Baking Items